Friday, March 11, 2016

I am ashamed. Are you?

I am ashamed. Are you?

Last night I slept badly after a challenging day. Belatedly I learned the Western Australian State Gov. has made public protests illegal. This has turned us into a police state, is definitely not democratic and I am ashamed to let it happen

Then I learned NSW is doing the same. They cut down a row of 150 + year old Moreton Bay Fig trees with no regard to the taxpayers or climate change for that matter. This is not democratic either.

I watched a snippet of the debate between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders where they argued who was the most compassionate. It was disgusting. Meanwhile Donald Trump behaved like a 3 year old strutting about banging his chest and saying by his body language, 'look at me. Look at me.' The American people are letting one these twits be the leader of their country while still thinking they are the greatest nation in the world. It is farcical.  China and Russia think they are the greatest instead.

Even Australia thinks 'We're not so bad either, mate. Oi, Oi, Oi, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.' Meanwhile we are showing little compassion or even common-sense towards asylum seekers. We are in fact causing them harm and I am doing nothing about. What we are doing is neither just nor humane.

Many of our politicians say they are Christian but from my learning during childhood what they are doing is definitely not what their leader Christ taught and it is not democratic as well. Thank their God I am an atheist.  But nevertheless I am still ashamed.

On AL JAZEERA last night I saw masses of refugees living in tents in the rain and mud with little food and no hope.  It is catastrophic. How these people must hate us. We send troops into their countries and bomb their homes and when they want - no, are desperate - for our help we are looking away. I am ashamed.

I climbed out of my sleepless bed last night and sent some money to Médecins Sans Frontières‎ : a futile attempt to assuage my guilt by association to this uncaring world but it didn't work. I am still ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment